began life as a mission church planted by Hessenford Parish Church since population was growing significantly at Downderry but not at Hessenford.The original building built in 1883-4, at a cost of £1,000, by the Rev. J.T. Fisher B.A. vicar of Hessenford, 1851-85. It is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, and has a belfry containing one bell, erected as a memorial to the Rev. J.H.S. Staveley, a former curate; an oak pulpit was provided in 1893, and in 1905 a stained window was given by the widow of Col. Phillips in memory of two sons.. In 2001, a new wing with kitchen and toilets was added. The present small but substantial building dates from 1905. It is situated within a stone’s throw of the beach. In 2001 a new wing with kitchen and toilets was added. It is truly a multi-purpose building. The vestry is also the Office for the Civil Parish at the heart of the community..... St Nicolas Church Primary School is directly opposite.
St Nicholas Church, Downderry - update
contact Sue Pidgen 01503 250897